Nymphadora

Nymphadora's Attic

V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta - David Lloyd, Alan Moore A gripping tale of the blurred lines between ideological good and evil. I must say I watched the film before reading this and I think this is an important remark. I was expecting some more depth regarding the development of the main character – as to what killed a man and hatched a receptacle of ideals. This bit disappointed me a bit, for V is such an interesting non-character.Other aspect that keeps me from giving it a 5 star rate is that the novel is pretty one dimensional, which doesn’t make sense to me, regarding its heavy political content. There’s V, who comes to represent anarchy, and the British government, who represent fascism. The fascists are all deviant ghouls, and V's idealistic approach to anarchy is never questioned. Moreover, I suppose it's fine to say that eventually anarchy will sort itself out into the best possible government (or lack there of), but I'd hate to be the test group for this hypothesis. On the other side, the artwork is pretty raw, but it helped me focus on the impressive plot even more, so it’s both a positive and a negative point. I found the pacing quite good, the dialogues enticing, the connections between the different characters very well established, for a novel that insists on not giving any depth to any of them and thus making their ideals scream at you from every page.Anyway, this was doomed to become a classic for the timelessness of its message - If the government is the only one that's right, the people have no say. If the government is what controls the people, the people have to bend to their ruler's will. If we stop listening to all things, and only be fed the manufactured lies and falsehoods of a corrupt system, we will forever be blind to how things are. So it’s up to any of us to fight, with love and knowledge, never with hate or ignorance.With that, I bid you adieu.