Nymphadora

Nymphadora's Attic

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick I must say I missed reading science-fiction… I’ve never been and assiduous reader of this genre, maybe because of the clichés it ends up developing or even because film productions filled my needs. But I can tell this was GOOD sci-fi, not only action-packed but one of the most credible – scientifically speaking – I’ve ever laid eyes on.By 2021, the World War had killed millions, driving entire species into extinction and sending mankind off-planet. Those who remained coveted any living creature, and for people who couldn't afford one, companies built incredibly realistic simulacrae: horses, birds, cats, sheep. . . They even built humans.It’s deliciously ironic… after human kind conquered technology, it feverishly tries to recover any life form, which was supposedly a given part of existence. The balance was ruptured and our best intelligence and investigation has led us inevitably to self-destruction.This narrative is centered on Rick Deckard’s moral dilemmas as a bounty hunter – he “retires” rogue androids. For example, on the differences between humans and human-like machinery, that resides on the empathy shown between human beings and animals but not to androids or amongst them. Is that the only difference between our brains? Would “andies” live long if they weren’t handicapped that way in terms of survival instincts? What’s the meaning of that form of life? Is it legitimate for us to “retire” them at all?