Nymphadora

Nymphadora's Attic

1984 (Colecção Mil Folhas, #25)

1984 (Colecção Mil Folhas, #25) - Ana Luísa Faria, George Orwell WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. These sentences keep echoing in my head. This dystopian novel reveals a fictional dictatorship of the Big Brother. Where memories and language are controlled, even people’s thoughts become more and more restrained in time, until contrary concepts become one in its (nonexistent) meaning. It was quite a frightening read. Although I don’t believe Orwell wrote it as a premonition of any sort, its futuristic analysis of political power seems quite familiar in some ways. The main character Winston Smith will probably not gain much of the reader’s appreciation for he’s "a new kind of hero: one who loses." (Faulks on Fiction 2011, p. 79). In his struggle to subvert the system, he acknowledges his death will be the pay for future freedom.YOU. ARE. THE. DEAD.George has an uncanny ability to get to the base of the human psyche, at times suggesting that we need to be at war for many different reasons, whether it's at war with ourselves or with others. That is one thing I have never fathomed: why humans feel the need to destroy and control each other. Its psychological depth makes it a captivating read. It's groundbreaking yet at the same time, purely classic. Ahead of its time, yet timeless.